Apostles Creed Shroud
One of the largest projects Roger has created, this was a wooden shroud containing the Apostles Creed. The cross was a previous chip carving work by Roger. The cross itself stands nearly 6 feet tall. The shroud that is "pinned" to the cross is a relief carving containing the writing of the Apostles Creed which has been chip carved. The gallery below shows the progression of the shroud from conceptualization to the final product.
- A sheet was hung to show the concept visual on the completed cross.
- Several piees of wood stock were glued together to give the neede ddepth and maintain a good quality of grain.
- The image was penciled on the wood, front and side.
- The main shape was rough sawed, then rough chiseled.
- Once the shroud was completed, time for finishing and chip carving the Apostles Creed.
Click on any image below to enlarge the photo . . .